Friday, December 5, 2008

The Truth And The Next Big Killer

I just read an article about the dangers of cell phones. Geez, I quit smoking, dramatically changed my diet, take vitamins and supplements, am trying to exercise more and now I have to quit talking on my cell phone? I know this isn't new news, but as time goes on and the cell phone generation gets older, I am certain we will hear about this more and more.

I'm afraid I am a cell phone addict. Now I practice extremely proper cell phone etiquette. Don't get me started, that is a whole other post in itself. No I'm an addict in that my BFF, also known as my husband, travels for his job. He is on the road all the time and we talk......all the time. When he pulls out of the driveway we are often already talking. It's how our relationship began as we lived indifferent states and it has always continued in that manner. So now I'm discovering the potential dangers of cell phone use and am in a stage of denial. Obviously, I don't want our relationship to change, it's what BFF's do. Talk and text. Literally thousands of minutes each month. But I only get one body in my life, so ignoring this subject isn't a good option.

The concern is of course that cellphones send out electromagnetic radiation that can penetrate the brain, thus causing brain cancer. There is debate to this as scientist's say that there have not been enough studies performed to found this as truth. However, an argument to that is there was a time when cigarette smoking was claimed to be safe by scientists. That was prior to performing those valuable studies that incriminated the tobacco companies as well as those same scientists who were often on the payroll. Oh yes, the truth.

Which leads me right to another point and that is, much like the drug companies and tobacco companies, telecommunication companies are making far too much money on cell phones to allow any truth to be told on the dangers. After all there are 3 billion of us using them and that number grows steadily each year.

So where does one obtain this education needed to make a choice about this important health issue? Can we find enough truthful information to make an educated decision? It's a tough question, but like so many other issue's concerning our health and the truth, the responsibility falls to us as individuals.

To begin, you can go to one of my favorite websites about alternative health: Mercola.com or click here to go directly to the article.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go call my BFF to tell him about this concern. Well maybe, I'll write a letter or send up smoke signals.

No comments: